July 3, 2010

The Challenge Pizza

The challenge. Boo called at 5:30, tired hungry, “I’m in a mood for pizza, can you fix something?” Yes, I can. But she would be home in an hour.

So, I used the flatbread pizza dough recipe I posted here in June, 2009 (Can Real Men Make Pizza?) With a little variation.

I proofed the yeast by adding 2 1/4 teaspoons of dry active yeast to 1/4 cup slightly warm water. Then I added a teaspoon of sugar and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. While that began to proof, I tossed two cups of all purpose flour into the bread maker with another tablespoon of olive oil, two tablespoons of honey and a ½ teaspoon of salt. The yeast mixture foamed up within about 7-8 minutes and I dumped it into the breadmaker, punched the “dough” button and walked away.

While the dough was working, I made a pizza sauce, using one 6 oz. can of tomato paste and 6 oz. of water, 3 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon garlic powder (you can also use minced garlic - I was out), 1 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/4 teaspoons each of Basil, Marjoram and Oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Some people will added red pepper flakes to this, for a little extra heat. I don’t, but whatever floats your boat.

Stir this up over medium heat. If it boils, it will spit, so cover your pot. When its nice and hot all the way through, take it off the heat and let it sit covered, to blend up the flavors, while you work out your dough.

I then pulled the dough from the breadmaker.  It was smooth and elastic, and maybe a bit sticky. I put it in a bowl, covered with a kitchen towel to let it rise, while I got busy on toppings.

Browned ground beef, sliced black olives and mushrooms, chopped roasted red peppers and Vidalia onion. I thought about ham and pineapple, but Boo likes beef-topped pizzas better, so do whatever you like.

When the toppings were ready, I set the oven to 400 F. and sprinkled some flour on the counter top. I dumped the dough, which had risen to roughly twice its original size, out onto the flour and rolled it around gently so that it picked up the flour and lost the surface stickiness. Then I pushed it out a bit into a roughly circular shape and got my hands under it, palms down, using the backs of my hands and the weight of the dough to gently stretch the dough.

I can toss pizza dough pretty well, but this is not a kneaded dough, and you can beat it up and tear it pretty easily, which is not the objective here. When it is stretched out to about the thickness you want, move it to your pizza stone and support it on the stone while shaping it out.

Then I spread the pizza sauce (leave yourself about an uncovered inch all around the outside edge) and the ground beef on the dough and popped it into the oven for 5 minutes at 400 F. Then I pulled it, added the other prepared toppings, reducing the heat to 350 for about another 5-6 minutes. That exposed edge is now rising and starting to firm up to the touch.  When it starts to brown slightly, you're done.

Then I bumped the oven back up to 400 F. and spread my pizza cheese over the toppings. Back in the oven for about 5-6 minutes and pulled it just as Boo walked through the door.

The sauce is tangy, and only slightly sweet and the flatbread crust is crunchy at first, but then nice and chewy. Not working out on the dough keeps it from toughening up during the bake.

Start to finish. 1 hour. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment